Fire at Brien Center-owned Pittsfield residence might leave tenants displaced

Posted

PITTSFIELD — Residents of a multi-unit residence on Francis Avenue were expected to be displaced overnight Saturday after a kitchen fire left smoke and water damage on the second floor, according to Deputy Fire Chief Ron Clement.

A police officer was responding to a call about a neighbor issue on Francis Avenue when he noticed smoke coming out of the second floor of 220 Francis Ave. and heard fire alarms going off.

An initial call to firefighters indicated that a person was trapped on the second floor, but when firefighters arrived, everyone already had exited the building, Clement said.

Firefighters discovered that the blaze, which they quickly extinguished, was caused by food left on the stove, Clement said, adding that he likely wouldn't be able to restore power to the building before Sunday.

Camelia Fountain, who lives across the street from the residence, said that she initially had been talking to the officer about a complaint she had when he noticed the smoke. When the officer walked over, occupants of the building fled, she said.

"As soon as he got across there, all of them scattered out of the house," she said.

The residence, which is owned by the Brien Center for community-based mental health and substance abuse services, most recently was assessed at $187,800, according to city records.

Haven Orecchio-Egresitz can be reached at horecchio@berkshireeagle.com, @HavenEagle on Twitter and 413-770

Advertisements

TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions