Fire damages Cheshire home, no one injured

Posted

CHESHIRE — Several residents still have a place to live thanks to the local firefighters who saved their home on Wednesday.

Around 6:45 p.m., the Cheshire Fire Department responded to 33 Richardson St. where firefighters found heavy black smoke billowing from the basement. Assistant Cheshire Fire Chief Corey Swistak immediately called for mutual aid. Adams, North Adams and Lanesborough fire departments were called to the scene, with Dalton on standby in the Cheshire fire station.

Swistak said the firefighters who entered the basement quickly doused the smoke and flames, keeping both from spreading throughout the three-story wood frame house dating back to the Civil War.

"It was a heck of a job, knocking it down," he said. "We got there in the nick of time."

Swistak said the four people home at the time escaped unharmed from the multifamily dwelling. All of the residents were able to return to their apartments after firefighters cleared the scene.

An electrical problem likely sparked the fire, according to Swistak.

Advertisements

TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions