Fire destroys Stockbridge RV

Posted
STOCKBRIDGE — Firefighters quickly knocked down a blaze that engulfed a full-sized recreational vehicle Tuesday night on Depot Street at the Stockbridge Gas Co. property.

There were no injuries to the owner of the mobile home, who was not there at the time, said Fire Chief Ernest "Chuckie" Cardillo.

The bus-style camper was being temporarily stored at the location by a friend of the owner, said Stockbridge Gas Co. president and CEO Nicholas Nadorff. It was not being used as a residence.

Nadorff said the RV, which was a total loss, will be towed off the property by the owner, whom he declined to identify.

A dozen Stockbridge Fire Department volunteers, aided by members of the Lee and Great Barrington departments, extinguished the fire within 20 minutes after it started at 6 p.m., Cardillo said. The RV was totally involved when firefighters arrived, he stated.

According to local police, the RV was registered to Crockett McGarrity, 69. He is listed by internet sources as owner of Camel Moving & Storage of West Stockbridge.

The quick response prevented the blaze from spreading to a nearby storage building, Cardillo added. The cause of the blaze was believed to be electrical, according to the fire chief, who described the RV as "a full-size mobile home."

The state fire marshal's office was contacted, but no investigation was considered necessary, he said.

Clarence Fanto can be reached at cfanto@yahoo.com, on Twitter @BE_cfanto or at 413-637-2551.

TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions