Garage heavily damaged in Great Barrington fire

Posted

GREAT BARRINGTON — One person was injured Tuesday afternoon as a wind-swept fire destroyed a garage and came close to setting the family home ablaze.

At 2:37 p.m, the Great Barrington Fire Department responded to 1 Newsboy Monument Lane off Route 23 where they found the detached garaged engulfed in flames.

"There was a threat the flames would spread to the large house," said Fire Chief Charles Burger.

Firefighters had the flames knocked down within 10 minutes and stayed at the scene until about 4:30 p.m.

Two adults and a child were home at the time and had to evacuate the house. Burger said the homeowners managed to get a car out of the garage with minimum damage, but a motorcycle and the rest of the structure's contents were consumed by the flames.

The preliminary investigation indicates the male homeowner was using a grinder inside the garage, which sparked the blaze. The man wasn't in the garage when the fire began, but he did suffer burns and smoke inhalation that are not believed to be life-threatening. Burger says the burn victim transported himself to Fairview Hospital for treatment.

Lenox Fire Department assisted Great Barrington at the scene while the Sheffield Fire Department covered at the main fire station.

Southern Berkshire Volunteer Ambulance Squad also responded to provide any necessary medical care.

Dick Lindsay can be reached at rlindsay@berkshireagle.com and 413-496-6233.

Advertisements

TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.




Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions