Jury trial set for Egremont man who allegedly attacked officer during stop

Posted

GREAT BARRINGTON — An Egremont man who allegedly tried to remove an officer's pistol from his holster during a scuffle is set to face a jury-of-six trial in the fall.

Sonny Harvey, 36, was scheduled to be tried Oct. 3 in Central Berkshire District Court. The trial date was set Monday by Judge Paul Vrabel in Southern Berkshire District Court.

Egremont Police Officer Hans Carlson said he "feared for his life" during the Oct. 17 incident with Harvey, after he stopped him for allegedly speeding and driving in the wrong lane on Route 71 in Egremont.

Officers had been alerted by Great Barrington police, who radioed that patrons of a bar said that Harvey had left drunk.

When he tried to arrest Harvey, Carlson said, a struggle ensued, during which Harvey repeatedly pulled on Carlson's pistol in an effort to remove it from the holster.

Article Continues After These Ads

Carlson said he suffered neck pain, and injuries to his lower back and left hip, and that Harvey repeatedly had driven him into large stones.

Carlson freed himself by kicking Harvey away and activating his stun gun, according to the arrest report.

At the station, Harvey allegedly refused a Breathalyzer test, and failed the field sobriety test.

He was held and subsequently released on $1,600 bail.

Harvey is charged with operating under the influence, third offense; assault and battery on a police officer; disorderly conduct; resisting arrest; marked-lanes violation; and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

Heather Bellow can be reached at hbellow@berkshireeagle.com or on Twitter @BE_hbellow and 413-329-6871.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions