Letter: Make sure train talks make a stop in Pittsfield
To the editor:
I am writing this letter to urge our state Reps. Paul Mark, Tricia Farley-Bouvier, John Barrett and William "Smitty" Pignatelli, our state Sen. Adam Hinds, Gov. Charlie Baker, U.S. Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Edward Markey and U.S. Rep. Richard Neal to continue making a determined effort to provide East-West rail service to connect the Berkshires to Boston.
Voters: Write the Massachusetts Department of Transportation to include the Berkshires as part of the rail service.
I was unable to attend Wednesday's MassDOT meeting in Springfield. I read about it in The Berkshire Eagle Letters to the Editor today.
Please do as much possible to make the rail service go from Boston to the Berkshires. This rail service would be economically beneficial on many levels:
- It would nurture the Berkshire Innovation Center.
- It would improve mobility for cyclists, the handicapped, entrepreneurs, grandparents and others.
- It would assist parents/guardians and students who attend colleges/universities in the greater Boston area, and it would assist a similar demographic traveling West.
- It would improve mobility for the creative economy.
- It would improve transportation for agritourism.
- It would help men, women and others with careers in education, industry, manufacturing, politics and more.
- It would facilitate travelers using Logan Airport and Pittsfield Municipal Airport and elsewhere.
- It would improve tourism on every level going East to West as well as West to East.
Money is important, and providing rail service from Boston to the Berkshires would enhance and stimulate the Berkshire economy. Please have the next meeting in Pittsfield. Thank you for your attention to my request.
Marietta Rapetti Cawse,
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.