Mount Everett boys soccer team falls to Pioneer in Western Massachusetts Division IV tournament


SHEFFIELD — The Western Massachusetts Division IV quarterfinal matchup between Mount Everett and Pioneer Valley started in a light rain. By halftime, the players were competing in a full downpour, turning parts of the pitch into patches of mud and compromising the player's footing. Unstable footing, especially on defense, can be costly and Pioneer forward Dana McRae made the Everett defense pay for taking a false step.

McRae stepped up to take a corner kick midway through the second half. Everett goalkeeper Patrick Silk came forward and McRae sent a hard shot to the short post. On a dry field, maybe Silk makes the stop, but Everett's keeper could only get a hand on the ball as it slipped by him and into the goal for the eventual winner, giving Pioneer a 2-1 victory on Monday.

McRae said he formulated his plan of attack after watching Silk's movements on a earlier corner kick.

"From the previous corner, Jack [Loud] wanted a near-post run, so I tried to play him a hard pass on the ground and I saw the goalie come way out," McRae said. "So I thought, I'll say same thing [on the next corner], the goalie will run out the same way and I'll whip it by him. And it was on target, the goalie tried to get there late but he didn't get there."

The goal put the Eagles on their heels as they scrambled for the equalizer. Pioneer did a great job of preventing the Eagles from getting any good looks at the goal. The final two minutes were even more frantic as Everett's entire team pushed forward. Time after time, the Panthers were in position to kick the ball away, as precious seconds continued to tick off the clock, allowing them to hold on for the win.

"Regardless of the weather, if we finish on a couple opportunities, lock down a little better defensively — I think we have a better end result," Everett coach Josh King said. "Obviously the last goal they scored, could it have been a factor with it being wet? Maybe. Still, if we get somebody on the front post that ball never gets through anyway."

Pioneer's Jordan Loughman started the scoring on a well-placed goal in the top-left corner with 6 minutes, 43 seconds left in the first half.

The final equalizer wasn't in the cards for the Eagles, but Nikos Casivant's first-half goal tied the score heading into halftime.

There was a scramble in front of the net as Pioneer keeper Ryan Underwood made the initial stop. Casivant raced to the ball, firing a sliding shot off the rebound into the net.

Everett's Cavan Brady had a solid look off a free kick in the 36th minute, but the Pioneer keeper made the save on the curving shot.

McRae said the field condition added some unpredictability to the game.

"The field is dirty so it gets so hard to turn, especially in the midfield," he said. "You have to be ready for anything, because the ball could skip any which-way. Just getting traction is that much harder."

Mount Everett finishes the season at 9-3-3. Pioneer advances to play Lenox at Holyoke High School on Wednesday at 7 p.m.


Pioneer     1     1          2

Everett     1     0          1

First Half

P — Jordan Loughman (Jak Loud), 34:17.

E — Nikos Casivant (unassisted), 35:00

Second Half

P — Dana McRae (unassisted), 60:43.

Saves — P: Ryan Underwood 6. E: Patrick Silk 8.

Akeem Glaspie can be reached at, at @TheAkeemGlaspie on Twitter and 413-496-6252.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions