Mount Greylock boys cross-country wins Burnt Hills Invitational in New York
SARATOGA, NY — The 38th annual Burnt Hills Invitational was held on Saturday at Saratoga SPA State Park.
The Mount Greylock boys and girls cross-country teams were in attendance, and cross the state lines with some hardware on the way back.
The Mounties boys squad won the Division I varsity race outright with a score of 45. Second-place Lake Placid had 70. There were 18 full teams and 160 finishers.
Greylock's senior five-some did the trick, led by Jesse Seid in fourth place overall, with a time of 16:18.04. The race was just under a 5K at 4,892 meters.
Josh Cheung was sixth in 16:31.78, followed by Jacob Fink in 11th, Jakin Miller in 14th and Theo Sandstrom in 17th.
Brandon Olden of North Warren won the race in 15:48.81.
The varsity girls only raced four runners, so they did not score in the team standings. Freshman Kate Swann (19:33.66) led the way in fifth overall. Junior Miriam Bakija was 13th. Duanesburg's Elaine Atanasova won the race in 18:23.79.
The Invitational also hosted a variety of younger races.
Greylock's boys team took first place out of 26 teams in the modified Middle School A race, scoring 26 points to Saratoga Springs' 91. Oliver Swabey took first overall in 10:42.93 on the 3K course.
Greylock's boys team also took second place in the Middle School B race with 71 points. Queensbury won with 41.
The girls squad took home first prize in the modified race as well, scoring 24 points to Scotia-Glenville's 88. Ainsley Abel led the way in second overall.
4. Jesse Seid 16:18.04; 6. Josh Cheung 16:31.78; 11. Jacob Fink 17:22.89; 14. Jakin Miller 17:34.08; 17. Theo Sandstrom 17:44.48; 32. Charlie McWeeny 18:13.11; 35. Corban Miller 18:25.03.
5. Kate Swann 19:33.66; 13. Miriam Bakija 20:40.31; 39. Fiona Williams 22:28.21; 93. Emma Paul 25:59.53.
Boys Middle School A
1. Oliver Swabey 10:42.93; 2. Quinn McDermott 11:12.32; 5. Caleb Low 11:28.52; 8. Chase Doyle 11:38.39; 10. Declan Rogers 11:51.57.
2. Ainsley Abel 12:17.21; 4. Erin Keating 12:49.35; 5. Lily McDermott 12:50.60; 6. Juliet Kornell 12:51.85; 7. Sarah Polumbo 12:59.79.
Boys Middle School B
4. Noah Shun 12:40.86; 7. Seamus Barnes 12:45.43; 18. Austin Buda 13:20.21; 19. Ryan Keating 13:20.70; 38. Jason Jaros 13:43.00.
13. Parker Winters 11:28.87.
10. Juliann Lawson 13:25.71; 59. Lily Rorke 18.04.18; 62. Sarah Reynolds 20:40.18.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.