Mount Greylock boys soccer team beats Pope Francis to advance to Western Massachusetts Division III semifinals

Sam Dils got things started for Mount Greylock by scoring on a penalty kick. The Mounties beat Pope Francis 3-1.
David Falk came huge in goal when he had to in Greylock's win over Pope Francis.

WILLIAMSTOWN — Twelve months ago, the Mount Greylock boys were on the outside looking in for the Western Massachusetts Division III soccer tournament. Now, the Mounties are one win away from playing for a championship.

Sam Dils converted a penalty kick in the first half, and brothers Brady and Toby Foehl scored in the second half as the fourth-seeded Mounties beat No. 5 Pope Francis 3-1 Monday night. The game was moved from Greylock's campus to Farley-Lamb Field at Williams College.

"Obviously, last year didn't go quite as we planned," said Sam Dils. "We worked really hard in the off-season, ever since we found out that we wouldn't be in. We've been working ever since to get back to this place.

"We're hoping to just keep going. We're not done yet."

Last year, an ineligible player caused Greylock to forfeit games that knocked the Mounties out of the tournament. Head coach Blair Dils, however, was quick to point out that it's been longer since the Mounties (11-4-2) last tasted victory in the Western Mass. tournament.

"It's been a while. Two years ago, we lost in PKs at home [to Palmer] at John T. Allen" Field, the coach said. "Just to move on to the semifinals feels good right now."

Up next for the Mounties will be top-seeded Belchertown. The Orioles beat eighth-seeded Athol 5-1 in a quarterfinal. The semifinal will be Wednesday at Szot Park in Chicopee at 6 p.m.

The Mounties got on the board when Pope Francis defender Jake King pushed Sam Dils from behind in the box. Dils stepped up to the dot, and shot into the lower left corner. The halftime score was 1-0.

The Mounties stole whatever momentum Pope Francis (10-7-2) thought it had midway through the second half. Cardinals forward Trevor Crawford beat the Greylock defense downfield, cut toward the goal and ripped a shot that Falk saved.

On the counter, Mitch Jezouit found Brady Foehl for the goal. It was 2-0, Greylock.

"I remember [Crawford] coming down. I just remember him taking the shot and I tried to react to it as quickly as I could. Thankfully I got to it," the junior goalkeeper said. "Coming back down and scoring, obviously it felt great."

Brady wasn't the only Foehl to score on this night. Toby scored on a SportsCenter-esque play. Finn Welch sent a long cross from the left. Toby Foehl ran the ball down, beating a defender and Early to it, before scoring in the 72nd minute.

"The better team won," Pope Francis coach John Pantuosco said. "Don't get me wrong. Sometimes, a little luck would have helped.

"That's a very good team."


Pope Francis     0     1          1

Mount Greylock     1     2     — 3

First Half

MG — Sam Dils (penalty kick), 32:24.

Second Half

MG — Brady Foehl (Mitch Jezouit), 58:58. MG — Toby Foehl (Finn Welch), 71:37. PF — Kenny Cesar (PK), 79:00.

Saves — PF: Kevin Early 12. MG: David Falk 3, Sam Edge 0.

Howard Herman can be reached at, at @howardherman on Twitter, and 413-496-6253.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions