Police say man arrested on train picked his shackle lock, escaped before being apprehended again

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

PITTSFIELD — A Chicopee man is facing multiple charges, including assaulting a police officer, after causing a disruption on an Amtrak train and twice struggling with officers trying to take him into custody.

He also was subdued with a Taser — twice — and briefly escaped after breaking free from his shackles, according to police and court files.

Ernest Hughey, 33, was confronted by police at the Columbus Avenue station about 4:35 p.m. after train operators reported having a passenger aboard who was harassing a female passenger.

Police told Hughey he was being asked to leave the train, and they would try to help him make other travel arrangements.

Hughey declined to provide his identification and refused to leave the train.

A woman seated next to Hughey tried to get up and change seats, but Hughey blocked her exit from the row, police said.

Once she was able to get past Hughey, police told him he would be arrested if he did not leave the train.

Article Continues After Advertisement

Hughey continued to refuse and resisted officers trying to place him under arrest for disorderly conduct.

During the struggle with police, officers struck Hughey with a Taser, but he continued to resist and fight with officers, prompting them to hit him with a Taser a second time.

Article Continues After These Ads

Once in custody, he refused to cooperate with officers, who had to carry him off the train.

Hughey was injured during the arrest, but declined medical treatment.

He was also disruptive during the booking process and refused to cooperate, and eventually asked for medical treatment for a cut over his left eye.

Hughey was placed in shackles and transported to Berkshire Medical Center. After being treated, he was taken back to the police station, where he fled from police after apparently picking the lock on his shackles, police said.

Article Continues After Advertisement

He ran off and unsuccessfully tried to jump into a car stopped at the intersection of Federal and Allen streets.

Hughey was injured again during a second struggle with police attempting to take him back into custody and was again taken to BMC for treatment. This time, he was secured to a stretcher with handcuffs and two sets of leg shackles.

A background check showed Hughey has three default warrants out of Hampden County on charges including malicious destruction of property, larceny, breaking and entering, witness intimidation and resisting arrest.

He pleaded not guilty in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday to charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, assault and battery on a police officer, interfering with a police officer, trespassing, vandalizing property and escaping from municipal lockup.

Judge Mark Pasquariello set bail at $1,000 and ordered him back to court Feb. 26 for a pretrial hearing.

Bob Dunn can be reached at bdunn@berkshireeagle.com, at @BobDunn413 on Twitter and 413-496-6249.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions