Senior Center news and updates
The quilt raffle winner was Betty Rounds, while cash raffle prizes went to David Amaral, Marie Perrault, Fred Yates, Liz Brady, Ginny Maurelli, Phyllis Weltz, Jane Westfall, Paul Reis, Bill & Marlene O'Connor, Lois Dowling, and grand prize winner Fred Yates
The senior center is seeking volunteers to help serve lunch in the dining room on Mondays from 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Join in for the cabin fever scrapbooking day out from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 12. This is a no-frills event to complete some unfinished projects, hosted by Tina White. Fee is $10 per person by Dec. 28, and $15 per person after that date. Register early as there is limited space. What to bring: scrapbook or refill pages, pictures, adhesives, tools, other cropping materials such as paper, cardstock and a bag lunch. For a pre-registration form, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or at 869-3478.
- Ongoing activities at the center include multiple Bone Builders programs (six classes a week), and Basic Tai Chi for fall prevention, Thursdays at 12:15 p.m. Contact instructor Susan Williams at 802-376-5173 for more information.
- Chair caning meets Mondays at 1 p.m. If you have a chair that needs repair or would like to learn the art of chair caning, stop by.
- Wednesday's art class is now visual arts, encompassing scrapbooking, adult coloring and stamping. Bring your own materials and have fun socializing, take advantage of the large tables to stretch out and enjoy your crafts.
- The Knit and Stitch group meets Mondays and Wednesdays at 9 a.m. They can help you finish a project, repair an item and even take on special projects such as baby blankets and gifts. The group donates "Knitted Knockers" to breast cancer survivors; stop by and ask for Betty for more information.
- The BFASC Quilters meet the second Wednesday of the month at 9 a.m. Need help starting or finishing a quilting project? These Ladies have a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- Nickle Bingo is held every Tuesday starting at 12:30 p.m. with 20 games played.
- The Gad about Girls are taking the winter off but will start meeting again in March.
The center will be closed for Christmas on Monday, Dec. 24, and Tuesday, Dec. 25, and for New Year's Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1.
With winter weather now upon us, remember that if the WNESU School system is closed due to inclement weather, so is the senior center. The Bellows Falls Area Senior Center is open to local seniors aged 50 and over. There are no membership fees.
A hot lunch is served Monday through Friday starting at 11:30. Lunch includes entr e, starch, vegetable, roll and butter, desert and beverage for a suggested donation of $3.50 for seniors over 60, and a fixed price of $5 for those under 60. Check out the menu on Facebook.
The senior center is located at 18 Tuttle St. For more information, call 802-463-3907.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.