Stockbridge house fire prompts fundraising effort

STOCKBRIDGE — A GoFundMe page for a couple who lost their home in a house fire in Stockbridge Friday had raised nearly $9,000 by Monday evening.

Shortly after 10 a.m. Aaron Dubois was at his 4 West Stockbridge Road home when a fire broke out in the chimney and called the fire department. His wife, Meghan arrived home soon after.

While the Fire Department was able to save the couple's three cats, their home was a total loss, according to their friend Alicia Rossie, who set up the fundraising website and is acting as a spokeswoman for the family.

People wanting to donate to the effort can go to: to contribute.

"They love living in the Berkshires and they love Stockbridge," Rossie said. "The hope is that they will be able to rebuild and they just have to take that one step at a time."

The Duboises, who are in their mid-thirties, were able to salvage some heirloom furniture that will have to be resurfaced, but lost nearly everything else, including family photographs.

"Those are the things that are just now starting to hit home," Rossie said on Sunday. "How do you grieve that while trying to appreciate all of the things they still have?"

The couple are currently bouncing between staying with friends and a hotel paid for by the American Red Cross while they work on finding a pet-friendly rental home.

They purchased their 2.083-square-foot house in 2015.

Haven Orecchio-Egresitz can be reached at, @HavenEagle on Twitter and 413-770-6977.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions