'Technology has stumped us': Probe ends after May bomb threat at Stockbridge school
STOCKBRIDGE — An investigation into the source of a bomb threat made against Berkshire Waldorf High School has come to an end, after detectives said they couldn't trace the phone call to a suspect, police say.
Stockbridge Police Chief Darrell Fennelly told The Eagle that the Massachusetts State Police Detective Unit has "run into a dead end, so [the investigation] is not going anywhere at this point."
"Unless we hear a rumor or get a tip, there's nothing further to investigate," Fennelly added. "Technology has stumped us at this point. It's very hard for investigators to overcome technology in some cases."
The 45-student private school was evacuated May 15 when town police received a call from a man who they say told them he had planted pipe bombs in the school lockers, and that he had "full magazines."
With assistance from the state police's bomb squad and K-9 unit, police determined that there was no danger at the Pine Street school.
But the call has puzzled not only police, but also school officials, who said they hadn't had any clues or hints about motives. School officials previously told The Eagle, and investigators, that they believed the threat did not come from within the school community.
Fennelly said the call could have come from anywhere. "It was apparently routed through a different country ... it's difficult to get cooperation from other countries in this type of matter."
Fennelly said the response and school evacuation went well, and that he would meet with school officials again to go over safety procedures and improve them, if need be.
Heather Bellow can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter @BE_hbellow and 413-329-6871.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.