Three Great Barrington residents displaced by structure fire

Posted
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

GREAT BARRINGTON — Three tenants were displaced early Tuesday after a structure fire damaged their home.

No one was injured in the fire, and damage, estimated about $40,000, was contained to the kitchen and bedroom, according to a press release from Great Barrington Fire Chief Charles Burger.

Firefighters responded to the scene about 7:15 a.m. and found fire coming from the second floor of the single-family home at 58 Brookside Road, Burger said in the release. Additional tankers were summoned due to limited water supply.

The fire, which was quickly brought under control, originated in a first-floor wall and spread to a second-floor bedroom, Burger said.

The cause was determined to be from old framing in contact with the fireplace chimney.

Article Continues After These Ads

The house and its contents were uninsured, Burger said. The residents were able to make other lodging arrangements and were referred to the Red Cross for additional assistance.

Great Barrington responded with three engines, a ladder, a rescue and 15 firefighters.

An engine from Sheffield and tankers from Sheffield, Egremont and Monterey, and a Rapid Intervention Team from Lenox provided mutual aid. Great

Barrington and Sheffield Police and Southern Berkshire Ambulance also assisted.

"I would like to express my sympathy to the owners and tenants who suffered losses today," Burger said in the release. "At this time, more than ever, it is difficult to go through such a tragedy. I am proud of our firefighters who did an excellent job of containing the fire and limited the damages."


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.




Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions